Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Spore has unseated WAR (of all things)

So in a surprising turn of events, Spore has already unseated WAR as the top sold game in the US. I don't need to mention that this is an astonishing turn of events for us who were hoping WAR would rival WoW. Hopefully it continues in second place for a while at least though and garners enough support to make WoW nervous. As a point of reference. WoW was the number 1 selling game (and still sells well) for a long long time after it launched.

In other news, people are whining about something or another (levelling from PVE is slow IMO, dps levels faster than other classes, chat sucks, but has gotten better by a small margin, etc etc) but all in all still enjoying WAR.

I enjoy WAR on my newish pc, but I can't even play it on my older pc's which will run games with better graphics than WAR, there's something goofy going on here... If they really want to sell well they need to make it run good (no CTD's) on old machines. (ones that meet the minimum reqs) Stat!

5 comments:

Nimgimli said...

Don't you think Spore is getting bought up by all The Sims fans? I bet they'll be surprised...

Thallian said...

wish I could see the look on their faces... :P

Crimson Starfire said...

The graphics on WAR are nothing spectacular, yet it requires rather harsh system specs to run. What gets me is that I think Guild Wars (built four years ago) looks and runs better, and requires half the specs??

I'd be interested to see where WAR sits on the sales charts once WoTLK is released... 3rd maybe 4th?

Anton said...

I'll be getting Wrath of the Lich King from day one, a friend of mine is almost 70 and we're going to play through it together. I hear nothing but good about Warhammer Online from friends at work, though. But I still see Wrath of the Lich King slaughtering Warhammer in sales in no time.

Aaron Miller said...

I expect Spore will sell nearly as well as The Sims series in the long run. It has as wide an audience and huge merchandising potential. I expect to see some sort of Spore content to be in the Top 10 PC sales lists for many years.