Friday, March 26, 2010

The Wizard 2!


No, they're not making a sequel.
...
Instead, I was musing over this writer's conclusion that The Wizard is more than a 90-minute commercial for Nintendo games. It is a historical snapshot of the culture created by Nintendo in 1989. A culture which I was a part of myself.
...
But this made me wonder about what a snapshot of today's video game culture would be? If they were to make The Wizard 2, what do you think the plot would be?
...
Here's one of my ideas: They could cast...the SAME ACTORS. People who played video games in 1989 were about 10 years old. People who play them now, are about 30. In other words...It's still heavily us.
...
But instead of finding a hidden warp zone in Mario 3, the 2010 version might feature WoW Cataclism...And now, Jimmy has to travel to California to compete in the pre-release contest to see which guild leader can take his guild through the level 85 content first. Every gamer's dream now, right? Or...Hmm...Maybe I'm off on this...
...
...What film could be made now to embody the video game culture of 2010? Preferably something we could laugh about in 20 years...

No comments: