Friday, April 18, 2008

Some Links and Alien Spleen Venting

Ok so I'll try to keep the angry venting down cuz I generally like to be a positive person and cheer people up but here's an angry vent right here worth discussing: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=133156
and here's an orc defiler to go with the spleen venom, with all his beautiful abilities listed:
http://mmorpg.qj.net/Lord-of-the-Rings-Online-The-Orc-Defiler-coming-to-Book-13/pg/49/aid/118428

Aaaanyyways, back on subject: People need to figure out that the wii is more powerful than the PS2 + the gamecube and take advantage of it. But that isn't the only issue here, developers need to think outside the box more. When was the last time you saw a game with a genuinely new mechanic or concept? Let's hear it form the studio audience. I personally loved the gravity gun in Half life 2 and the striders plus the physics. That game even had great graphics that ran well on our old pc which compares favorably with the Wii in horsepower. No I haven't even seen Portal yet (hangs head in shame) Metroid Prime 3 looks great on the wii ... and adds new things.. but shooters where you blast aliens shouldn't have the only love, they could make a new genre (could be first person or not I ain't picky). I don't know if you guys ever played Oni but it was probably one of the more innovative games Bungie made pre-Halo, other than Myth of course. You should go pick up the windows version (Keen&Graev I'm looking at you) if you haven't played it.

There's no reason why MMO's have to be boring and slow. With no plot. And no strategy. the only thing stopping us from having better games is our own mental blocks keeping our imaginations in check. We have seen plenty of games combat this but I haven't seen too much that REALLY breaks with tradition. Steven Spielberg's Boom Blox is coming out soon that may be one to watch and Spore is coming out in September, which will definitely be one to check out. I liked Kororinpa, even though it was short cuz it had good physics and was fun (marble madness for wii) I still haven't seen a single good sword fighting game for wii.. you would think this would be obvious to devs. (Yes, I own the dragon quest swords one) Super swing golf 2 is the first golf game I give a thumbs up to. The first one was too wonky, and Tiger Woods was too much of a stickler for form. Wii golf sucketh IMO. I do like tennis though it needs work, and bowling is great, and of course boxing does need work but it is still fun.

Still a "well done" Olympic one would be amazing. Sonic does not count, even though it sold a lot of copies. What are some of your ideas for what needs to be done that's innovative? Anton and I are thinking of doing something with more strategy than your typical fare... If I can figure out XNA. I have it working and printing out lines and making windows on my laptop so that's good, next up is sprites and images. What do you guys think would make a great game? Just please don't suggest another fps where you blast aliens... :P

No comments: