Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another Night of Neverwinter: Mark of Destiny

Arelith has been my gaming home for the last 2 months. At character creation, you are given an option called "Mark of Destiny". It has two effects. One is, a 20xp bonus every 6 minutes of play. The second, is a 10-life limit to perma-death.

Since I opted for the Mark of Destiny on my character, I will tell you there are still 7 lives left, but the most interesting thing is the way this changes encounters. I have learned to do the following: 1) always adventure with groups. 2) Do not go into areas that are overly dangerous. 3) Be ready to flee a difficult encounter. 4) Be very cautious about traps.

Last night, we encountered 2 Sewer Golems. This is a foe I had never before seen. I watched 2 companions die in the fight, but we had the largest group (6 players) I had ever been with. During that part of the struggle, my heart was pounding so hard. The question in my mind during a difficult fight is simply: Is it time to run yet?

In World of Warcraft, I rarely considered fleeing. If we died, we would just flee back to our bodies then. This gameplay aspect makes every encounter much more exhilarating. Eventually, I'll hit the 10-death limit and be forced to start a new character, but in the meantime, my current character is going through a lot of very real fears. Highly recommended.

5 comments:

Thallian said...

I wonder what WoW would be if it had this option. Even just having the option would be very interesting. Would pvp deaths count? Nobody would be doing this on a pvp server if so. Or would they? Maybe they would, and certainly finding a rogue before he finds you would be that much more exhilarating. Hmmm...

Anton said...

PVP deaths DO count on Arelith, but since this is strictly regulated Role-Play, people do not kill each other lightly.

Crimson Starfire said...

Sewer Golem? lol, what are they made of?

Thallian said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww....lol

Anton said...

Sewage! Am I the only one who'll say it?

And to think my weapon touched that thing...